Otter Wax and Waxed Canvas

I've made a few waxed canvas items now, two of which I used paraffin (the hand-sewn lunch sack and pipe roll you see below) and the third, I used Otter Wax. Unlike paraffin, it's an all-natural, non-petroleum coating that weatherproofs natural fiber cloth of nearly any kind and even some synthetic blends, as long as the percentage of natural fibers is higher than the synthetic. I really liked how easy the Otter Wax went on. It seems to have a much lower melting point, which may not be best in direct sunlight in the hotter months, but the Redhead cotton fedora I picked up at Bass Pro Shops a few weeks ago is likely not much of a summer hat, anyway.

Kayaking and Cabin Camping at Table Rock Lake

Hand-sewn waxed canvas lunch bag.

I really like how the Otter Wax took the crisp hat and gave it a weathered, more rustic feel and look. The hat went from OK, to downright cool in my book. Well, as cool as a cheap old outdoorsman hat can get. It's not wool like a nice Stetson or Filson hat, but it'll do.

Weatherproofed my hat

Here it is in action this past Saturday, doing a little urban Tenkara fly fishing on South Creek and at Valley Water Mill Park.

Urban Tenkara fly fishing on South Creek and at Valley Water Mill Park

Urban Tenkara fly fishing on South Creek and at Valley Water Mill Park

Urban Tenkara fly fishing on South Creek and at Valley Water Mill Park

Comments

Popular Posts