Monday, March 19, 2018

Cigar Box Ukulele

Completed cigar box ukulele

Over the weekend, I finished up the cigar box ukulele build. It's a tenor size uke, with a wood burned hibiscus pattern face, hammered tambourine jingle for the tailpiece, poplar neck, toothpick frets and it is fashioned from a Padron cigar box. It sounds and looks great and aside from having to adjust the hight of the action a hair, I'm quite happy with it.

Wood burning a hibiscus pattern on the cigar box ukulele

Completed cigar box ukulele

How it sounds.

Monday, March 12, 2018

The Weekend in Sawdust

A little over a week ago, I tweaked my left ankle pretty badly on a 6.8 mile night hike at Hercules Glades Wilderness. So, my plans to wander the hills of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, painting weird and wonderful architecture in the old part of town were scrapped and I decided not to stray too far from home. I did, however, make a bit of sawdust.

First up, I promised an Episcopal Church acquaintance that I'd do another art piece for charity auction. She's involved with Habitat for Humanity and I did a piece for her last year (the first pic below.)

Missouri recycled pallet artwork/decor.

This year, I decided to step it up, slightly. Still largely a reclaimed pallet project, but I added a thin sheet of nicely veneered plywood to the cutout.

Missouri state silhouette, charity donation piece.


Next up! The big-ass red oak stump! I'm turning this sucker into a table for my daughter's clubhouse that I'm in the middle of building. I attacked it with a chisel, drawknife and palm sander. I still need to varnish it and maybe add small locking casters to the bottom. The chunk of fire wood is incredibly heavy.

Making a big ol’ red oak mess today... and a stool/table.

Stump table in the making.

Thirdly! My cigar box ukulele project is coming along nicely, as well. This is the fourth musical instrument project. It features the same neck and headstock shape as the tambourine banjolele, but I was given a chunk of bone that I've used for the nut. I am currently sketching a hibiscus pattern on the face in order to wood burn before I fix the neck permanently.

Cigar box ukulele neck is shaped, now for frets and tuner placement.

Cigar box ukulele coming along nicely.

And just for good measure, here are my plans for the next musical instrument project. It's a simple cross between a gourd minstrel banjo and an Appalachian mountain banjo, using a vintage teak bowl for the pot and I recently bought a walnut plank for the fretboard. I'll likely make the neck from poplar. Other bits like the nut and bridge will be bone or antler if I can get ahold of some and I'll be using goat or calfskin for the tacked on head.

Making full-size banjo plans