2013 Sail Oklahoma Messabout

I had set my alarm for 4am, Friday morning. I woke up about 2am, sat there for an hour before committing to loading gear and the five hour drive to Eufaula, Oklahoma and the 2013 Sail Oklahoma Messabout. The drive was nice, initially, watching the sun come up through the Boston Mountains of western Arkansas. Just north of Fort Smith, I pulled into a gas station and gassed up. While standing at the pump I heard a hissing noise, looked back and found one of my trailer tires on its way to ground level. I pulled around to the air pump, ran in to get a tire gauge and aired up the spare tire. I blew up the first tire gauge when I checked the tire and had to run in for a second. I left the gas station for the nearest Walmuerto in Alma, AR. Of course they don't just sell trailer tires, but sell it on the rim. My $35 purchase went to $82. But, whatever, I'm on my way to sail for the weekend!

I made it to the beach at the end of Kiamichi Road, in Longtown, Oklahoma about 10:45am. Just in time to see the flotilla rounding the corner for the sail down to a lakeside restaurant a mile or two away. That's not a bad thing, as it was blowing really hard. 20MPH winds with higher gusts.

As I was putting in, Gene Berry was pulling his Michalak V-Fly ashore. Having just capsized and been rescued by Bill Nolan. Gene promptly hopped aboard my heavily reefed Sea Pearl and we sailed out and around the lake in front of the beach, trying to figure out if we should bother to follow the other boats or not. Deciding prudence was the way to go, we beached the boat and waited it out.

The winds eventually died down around 4-5pm and we had a couple of good hours of sailing without worry. I got to show off how nice the boat sails by itself in light air by walking up and standing on the middle deck while letting it do its thing.

With Friday's overnight forecast for heavy rain, I opted to sleep in my car just up the hill from the beach and my boat. I'm glad I did, since the storm that rolled through about 3:30-4am was an electrical one. It had cloud to ground lightning strikes about every second or two for almost an hour. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Saturday, we awoke to a better day. Winds were strong, but quite doable for sailing. Everyone got a lot more boat time in throughout the day. At night, there was a chicken dinner followed by door prizes and a touching memorial for a passed Sail Oklahoma attendee and all around decent fellow, Paul Helbert. In the door prize lottery, I won a free set of plans for the design of my choice by Dave Gentry, the designer of my 12' Chuckanut skin-on-frame kayak.

Sunday, up early and sailing again. I got a couple of hours in before having to call it around 10:30-11am. I said my goodbyes and thank yous, then hit the road back to Springfield.

Frank Baedke stands on the bow while By Miller sails his Sea Pearl 21 in the background. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

By Miller's Sea Pearl 21. It was great to talk with By. And if you read this, thanks again for the GPS! I really do appreciate it! Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sea Pearl 21s Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Gene Berry and his V-Fly 12 Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Boats on the beach Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

V-Fly 12 and Mayfly 12 Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Mayfly 12 Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

V-Fly 12, Mayfly 12 and Mayfly 16, all Jim Michalak designs Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Dave Gentry, designer of my skin-on-frame kayak, sails my Sea Pearl. I really like Dave. He's very laid-back and approachable. If you're ever wanting to build a boat that isn't difficult to put together, but looks amazing, check out his designs. Chances are, you'll also be able to lift it with one arm. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Kenny Giles' Mayfly 16 Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Frank Baedke's 24' Wa'apa outrigger canoe Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Kenny Giles, Chuck Leinweber (of Duckworks), Hajo Smulders and By Miller. Hajo just bought Chuck's stretched Welsford Walkabout. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

A Sunbird, I believe. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013 A Strike trimaran. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Gene Berry's junk-rigged PDGoose, "Andy's Junk". Drawn by the infamous sailing enthusiast, Andrew Linn. He was also in attendance. It was cool to talk with him a bit about his work with the Toledo Community Boathouse. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

More boats on the beach. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

My SP21, all cleaned up and ready to be shelved for the winter. Sail Oklahoma Messabout 2013

A special thanks to Mike and Jackie Monies, hosts of the Sail Oklahoma Messabout and the glue that holds the small boat community together out here in the middle states. You guys are great.

Comments

Minchau said…
Great wrap up. Saw Paul last October with Dave at Mount storm wv. Great guy. Thanks for writing about the sea pearl.

Popular Posts