3,000 / 30

In slightly less than a year and a half, I will be 50 years of age. 50 is a number that has stuck hard in my head for 28 years. 50 is how old my stepfather was when he had a massive heart attack and died one Monday morning on our living room floor, the first day headed back to work after a long summer vacation.

I was 20 and it was a fairly pivotal moment for my family and the direction it took following the shock of losing someone that was such a rock of stability for us. My mom spent a couple years in depression. My stepsiblings spun off into their own seperate lives and I stumbled aimlessly through crappy retail and restaurant jobs in sw Florida for a couple of years until I landed a graphic design-based desk job with my uncle's company in sw Missouri.

Fast forward 26 years, I'm 48-years-old, I have a wonderful and loving wife and daughter. I count myself rich, certainly not monitarily, definitely not there, but in spirit and in a sense of fulfillment. Though, that year 50 yet lingers and it's sitting ever closer on my horizon. So what to do about it? I started working out and running lightly in June. I have no idea how much weight I've lost, I don't much care, but it's a solid pant size. I do care about how I feel and look, though. I care a lot about regaining my sense of ballance and mobility. Something I was really feeling in decline earlier in the year.

In order to counter my Attention Deficit Disorder, I've turned the number 50 into more of a goal, rather than a spectre of doom, gloom and unknown. My idea is to be in as good of shape as possible by that birthday, Covid willing. I might even make a series of smaller goals and adventures to help me reach that line of crossing. Much like the 30-day-goal I completed this morning. Today marked the 30th consecutive day of completing 100 push-ups a day. That's 30 days, 3,000 push-ups. Not gonna lie. It sucked at times. But, when I started, I could really only do three sets of 10 without wanting to give up. I can now do three sets of 20 before reaching failure in the fourth set and just doing 10 push-ups here and there throughout my day till I hit 100. Other takeaways are that my chest and triceps are a bit more defined. I was seriously lacking there after quiting cycling about five years ago.

Now back to my regularly scheduled morning workout routine and trying to work more veggies into my diet.

Comments

Popular Posts