A Couple of Projects Out of the Way.

This past weekend, I used what free time I had to finish up a couple of projects I'd had on the back burner. One, a red oak slab end table that I pulled out of a recent firewood gathering trip and the second, a wood burned logo wall art piece that I did for our work photo and video studio. Pretty happy with how they both turned out.

The red oak table, I started by chiseling the bark of and sanding it. Then I coated it in Danish oil, which it drank readily due to the open pores of the tree type. I should've varnished it. The solids in the varnish probably would've sealed it much better. The hairpin legs, I pulled them from a cheap table I found in an antique shop. I spray painted them black before install and then I applied some finishing wax to the table, itself. The wax fogged badly when it dried and I couldn't buff it out enough to my liking, so I hit it with a heat gun and the wood absorbed it. The finish is nice, now.

Making an end table from a 5”x18” chunk of red oak.

Finished red oak slab end table

The logo wall art/decor, that I made from a 24" disc of wood that has sat in my garage for over a decade. I had plans to make a chalkboard out of it, but never got around to it. Last week, I decided to use it for our new office space, instead. I measured the piece, built a line art version of our logo icon to size in Adobe Illustrator, printed it tiled on 11x17 paper, taped it together and then cut it out with an x-acto knife for a stencil. Afterwards, I traced the design onto the wood in pencil and used a wood burning tool to burn in the artwork.

Work photo/video studio wall decor.

Work photo/video studio wall decor.

Work photo/video studio wall decor.

Comments

Popular Posts