Microadventures

I've been reading a lot of adventure, expedition and grand accomplishment books and blogs lately. Living somewhat vicariously through the awesome deeds and words of others. Ever since I stumbled across a particular blog by a British fellow named Alastair Humphreys, I've been intrigued by the concept of Microadventures . He defines them as an adventure that is close to home, cheap, simple, short, and yet very effective.

I pretty much do this to some extent, already. All of the hiking trips, camping, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, etc. But, I've not done much by just walking out my door and setting out to complete a harder than average task in the name of fun and slapping monotony on the arse. So, this summer, I'm thinking of planning a series of one and two day small adventure trips that I can attempt by foot, bicycle, kayak or sailboat, starting and ending pretty much from my front door or somewhere nearby.

So far, I have these basic ideas:

1. Sleep-out somewhere in town, in a sleeping bag or hammock, maybe under a tarp or even in a tent. Like an urban camping trip. A bit bum-like in practice, but it's something I've never done before and if thought out well in advance, I should be able to avoid conflict with the homeless or the authorities. Google "Stealth Camping"

2. Cycle circumnavigate Springfield by way of Bike Routes and Greenways. Go to www.ozarkgreenways.org, click on Trails, then the Google Map of the bike routes and greenways around town. Follow the largest connecting outline around the city. I've been wanting to do this one for about six years, but have never gotten around to it.

3. Hike or cycle from my front door, pulling my yet-to-be-completed kayak behind me, to the Crighton Access of the James River, then float down to the Hwy 65 bridge and take the Galloway Creek Greenway back to my house.

4. Cycle from my house to the city of Bolivar and back (two-day, close to 80 miles, round trip) via Bike Route, Greenway and Rails-to-trails Project (Frisco Highline Trail). I'll need to be in better shape for this one.

Comments

Popular Posts