Holga HL-C Lens for a Canon DSLR

I'm not what I would call a photographer, really. I have some basic design knowledge, but I'm about as technically savvy a chimpanzee with a stick when it comes to legit photography and knowing what to do and when. I tend to fly on whim and wonder, alone and sometimes that shit works out for me.

Actually, that's really how much of my life tends to unfold. Anywho...

My new toy... camera.

Once upon a lifetime, ago, 11-12 years to be more ballpark about it, I ran around town and woods with a Holga 120FN medium format camera. It was and is, a cheap plastic Chinese camera that produces perfectly crappy images in an artsy and hipster-esque way. Long before Instagram, VSCO and Hipstamatic phone camera filters, you had to produce your results in an analog fashion. The Holga was one of the more fun ways of doing so.

Here are some examples.

H_09_B H_13_B

H2_10 - Antlers, Sheriff's Office, Red Oak II H2_02 - Star Lanes, Carthage, MO

Lonely old engine H4_02 - Jordan Creek, maybe?

With the birth of my daughter, who is now eleven, I had to quit throwing money away on film purchase and development and I stopped using the Holga and my Polaroid camera, as well. I missed it, though and this Christmas I put the Holga HL-C lens for Canon DSLR cameras on my short list of stocking stuffer items. My wife, being a pretty good sport about most of my creative endeavors, purchased the $12 item for me. Yup, that's right, $12 for a camera lens. You get what you pay for. It's really imperfect and great for taking high contrast moody urban and rural decay pics. It works perfectly bad with my very old Canon EOS Rebel XTi DSLR.

Holga 60mm HL-C lens for my Canon DSLR

Here's some test shots around downtown Springfield, New Years Eve morning.

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

$12 Holga HL-C lens on a Canon DSLR

If you have a DSLR and want to stoop it to a level it was never really meant to be at and you're easily amused with that sort of thing, I highly recommend dropping the cost of a few cups of coffee on a shitty plastic Chinese camera lens and taking a walk. Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts