Limited Palette Watercolor Sketching

Limited palette watercolor sketch of an old rusted out flatbed truck. Gold Ochre, Venetian Red and Indigo.

Since I work in a creative field or two, graphic design and video production, and we've had one of the busiest summer workloads in memory, I'm usually quite tapped-out creatively by the time my feet cross through the front door of my home in the evening. Work, my daughter's school and sports obligations and general home care and maintenance have me spread pretty thin. I've done little of mentionable interest or random creativity all summer and into fall. What little time I get, five minutes here, ten there, I usually just throw at one of my banjos.

I am, however, through the magic of gimmickry, trying to force my hand at getting back into doing more analog artwork. I've challenged myself to pare down my already diminutive sketch kit into something even more portable and excuseless to pick up - the limited watercolor palette. It's just three slightly melancholy colors, Gold Ochre, Venetian Red and Indigo. I've squirted a blob of each pigment into a mini Altoids tin and I've ordered a new Moleskine watercolor tablet via the standard large faceless mailorder giant.

Yesterday, I took a fairly crapy sketchbook to a local downtown coffee shop and knocked out this sketch. It's from a pic I took of an old rusted-out flatbed truck on a friend's family farm , last year, just outside of Republic, Missouri. Let me know what ya think?

Limited palette watercolor sketch of an old rusted out flatbed truck. Gold Ochre, Venetian Red and Indigo.

Here's a few of other random pieces I recently did before landing on the 3-color sketching thing.

Painting mules at Dancing Mule Coffee Co.

Arkansas Barn

Upright bass sketch

Comments

Popular Posts