Recording King "Madison" Open Backed Banjo (RK-OT25-BR)

This Recording King RK-OT25-BR Madison open backed banjo followed me home earlier this week.

A little over a week ago, I bought a very nice (to me) banjo. It's a Recording King "Madison" (RK-OT25-BR) and it sounds so much better than what I'm used to playing. The early 1970s Harmony banjo has been shelved for the foreseeable future, probably only to be brought out on camping trips, sold on Facebook Marketplace or given to a kid that really wants to learn the instrument but can't afford one. I haven't picked up the homemade cigar box banjo much, either. The new banjo is just too much fun.

This Recording King RK-OT25-BR Madison open backed banjo followed me home earlier this week.

Something cool about this banjo, especially for frailing style/clawhammer players, is the addition of a frailing scoop on the neck. It allows for playing up higher on the neck and creating a warmer, more melody-driven sound. I'm still getting used to it. When I play up the neck, it feels really mushy and awkward. The first video below, I'm doing a poor comparison of playing up the neck vs. playing over the head, like normal. The second video is just a waltz I've been working on since my lesson last Saturday.

Comments

Bruce Bateau said…
Sounding good. Does it have a tone ring inside? That hooked me on the purchase of a nice banjo many years ago. I still have it. Your video inspired me to get it out.

I keep threatening to make a friend learn some labor songs with me. We'll go on tour and play in laundromats. Our name: The Agitators!
Trevor said…
Thanks, Bruce! Sorry for the late reply. I was in Mississippi for a week and a half. Been busy as all get-out since I got home a week ago.

It does not have a tone ring, but the model is meant to sound more "old timey". Less bright, more warmth. You should definitely dig out your banjo! I've had a lot of fun learning the instrument over the last eight months or so. Aside from boat stuff, it's been my favorite hobby to pick up in the last decade. Lots of of joy, if not ability to play. ;)

Popular Posts