Back to Boats - A Simple Sailing Scow Design

This spring, I'll be getting back to boat building, sailing and general small boat obsession. My life hasn't exactly let me lately, due to a number of over commitments at work and at home. But, in 2019, I'm making a heavier push to get back on the water more often. It's what I like to do most, recreation-wise and in the last two years, I haven't done nearly enough of it.

Here is my idea, so far. I'm converting an old 12 foot sailing scow boat plan to ply construction. I'm possibly modifying the rig to accommodate a 45 square foot lateen sail that I already possess and use on my sailing canoe, but I may scrap that altogether and use a lug rig or four-sided sprit rig in its place when I pull the trigger on the build. I do like the idea of a yawl rigged boat, though. So either way, I'll likely include a small mizzen sail offset on a stern corner.

The reason for such a simple hull shape is that my daughter wants to help me build something. She's taken more interest in what I like to do and she's outgrowing the kayak I previously made for her. I'd also like to be able to turn her loose more frequently, without Dad constantly looking over her shoulder. A wide and flat scow shape offers a very stable platform for a ten-year-old and a friend of equal age to row and sail around a protected lake cove with little worry of capsize.

The boat will have a leeboard, leaving the cockpit open for gear, possible camping aboard and easy sailing instruction for the kiddo. I have a centerboard and kick-up rudder/tiller arrangement that I pulled from a friend's Holder 14 when he scrapped it. A little reshaping and a new finish should put them back into use again with very little work on my part.

Anyway, here's my sketch so far.

Toying with the idea of another simple boat build.

Comments

Read your post with a deep sense of deja vu - love sailing and have done so little this year due to pressures from pretty much everywhere else.

I kep on saying i want to build a Dave Gentry de signed Ruth, but fact is I should just get out on the boats we have more often,

Good luck with the build, apologies I drop your blog by often but don”t comment.

Max
Tweezerman said…
Cool. I always thought the punt/scow type would make a good junior mess-about boat. I did a similar cartoon design, Kid Simple, but I've never got around to doing anything with it. It will be interesting to follow your progress.
Trevor said…
@Bursledon Blogger, thanks for the comment! I've seen a Dave Gentry "Ruth", it's a very pretty boat. Dave's boats go together nicely. I've built his Chuckanut 12, Lanui SUP and Kidyak Kayak. All were very straightforward builds and he's a great guy, in person and in dealing with any questions you may have in correspondence.

@Tweezerman, that is very similar! I'm hoping to start building next month. I've got a couple projects I'm nearing completion on and then it's boat time! :)

Popular Posts