Natchez, Mississippi

Last week, I had the fortune to head south about nine hours to Natchez, MS. It's a historic town along the Mississippi River with many intact and functioning antebellum homes and plantations, awash in live oaks, Spanish moss, vintage decor and stories of tragic mortality rates and man's inhumanity to man. Damn beautiful, though.

I won't drop all of my pics, here, though. I culled through the 500 or so that I took and whittled them down to just shy of 100. You can see all of them on my Flickr account, HERE.

The backstory is this, my employer heads down to Natchez every year for Fall Pilgrimage. She stays at some friends B&B each year and presents tours in full costume several times a week for three weeks. I just got back from six days of it, two of which I was painting in the rear garden, by the fountain and narrating a bit about the fountain being made from Natchez brick that was recycled from a foundation on a nearby plantation.

Nearly at arrival, sunset through burning cotton fields.

On the way to Natchez, Mississippi

The B&B that we stayed at, Oak Hill Inn. Run by two incredibly nice guys that make a damn good breakfast.

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

I presented and painted on Sunday and Wednesday. I also did a bit of art in between.

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Dining room center piece, Oak Hill Inn, Natchez, Mississippi

Pleasant Hill, Natchez, Mississippi

And on the off days we toured the other homes on display (and at least one that wasn't).

Sunnyside B&B

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Rosalie Mansion

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Longwood Mansion (unfinished, due to the Civil War starting during its construction and wiping out the family fortune)

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Arlington Plantation (which some crazy bastard is just letting go to waste.)

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Windsor Ruins

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

Natchez, Mississippi

St. Mary Basilica

Natchez, Mississippi

Lots more pics at the link at the top. I'll just stop here, otherwise I'll make a bigger mess of this post. ;)

PS. (can you PS a blog?) There appears to be a statue of me at Monmouth Plantation. Or it might be a past owner. I'm not currently working on time traveling to the mid-1800s Deep South, so could go either way.

Natchez, Mississippi

Comments

Popular Posts