The Prodigal Canoe Returns

The Prodigal Canoe has returned.

Actually, there's nothing extravagant about this canoe. I bought it for $50 about six years ago. And the only reckless thing about it was me giving it away about two years later.

The summer I bought The Viking Ship (nick-named, due to it's 17'x36" size), my wife and I paddled it enough that it earned it's keep. But when I got the wooden boat building bug, I handed it off to make room. Also, we were expecting a baby and I didn't see a whole lot of canoeing in our immediate future and figured it would get more use on someone else's car roof.

James River/Springfield Lake

James River/Springfield Lake

Finley River

Finley River

Mermaid on the bow - James River/Springfield Lake

Finley River

James River/Springfield Lake

A lot has changed in our lives since I gave it away. We now have a four-year-old, the ol' yella' hound in the pics has gone to the great tennis ball fetching grounds in the sky and I've become a little handier at making noise in the garage.

Bringing the canoe back home should allow me to get the family out on some slower moving local rivers this spring and maybe do some long lake passages if I rig it for rowing like I'm kicking around. But, first order of business, epoxy patch the leaks.

Comments

Popular Posts