Sketching Around Eureka Springs, Arkansas

With my wife and daughter planning a slumber party for Saturday evening, I asked that I be excused to head south a couple of hours to Eureka Springs, Arkansas. It's a town with a historic district unlike anything else in our region. The lay of the land, architecture, culture and character down there is flat out peculiar, but in a good way. There was so much I wanted to put to paper that I was literally paralyzed by choice and only got half of the drawing and painting in that I would have liked to have. Oh, well. I did get to hike around and look at a lot of interesting things.

Here are the sketches I did manage to get done.

The "Flatiron Flats" flatiron building at Spring and Center streets.

Sketching in Eureka Springs. The flatiron building.

Grotto Spring

Grotto Spring, Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Eureka Springs Courthouse

Eureka Springs courthouse in watercolor wash over ink.

Courthouse, Eureka Springs, Arkansas

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church

Last one before heading home.  St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church, Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

St. Elizabeth Catholic Church, Eureka Springs, Arkansas

I had a good time down there. Saturday night I camped at the KOA. Rain was forecast, so I just slept in the car instead of pitching a tent in their designated camping areas. From experience, rain and flat, retention-walled off campsites usually end with me sleeping in a puddle. I got a lot of attention sketching on the street, with dozens of people looking over my shoulder or commenting on my work. I even had people taking pictures with me. It was odd, but flattering.

I ran into some friends on Saturday, one took this pic of me sketching the flatiron building.

My friend Cecelia  caught me sketching on the streets of Eureka Springs.

Comments

Popular Posts