Artwork in March - 01

Having kicked small pencil sketches to the curb with the ending of last month's project, I've been exploring other mediums. Here's a bunch of random things I've drawn or painted in the past two weeks.

Indigo Bunting - sketched from a pic I took while cycling last summer. We came across the downed bird out by Willard, Missouri. It had been hit by a car and was too beautiful not to eventually honor it in artwork form.

Dead indigo bunting. I found him while cycling outside Willard, Missouri last summer. He hadn't been there long. He was too pretty not to honor him with a painting.

An accordion busker in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Sketch of an accordion busker in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. From a pic I took a couple of years ago.

Squid in color pencil.

Squid

Puddles the Clown (Puddles Pity Party), look him up on Youtube. His work with Postmodern Jukebox is awesome and weird.

Puddles the Clown

Pig

An over sketched pig.

Star Lanes Bowling Alley in Carthage, Missouri

Star Lanes bowling alley, Carthage, Missouri

Using a wooden artist model to model robots.

In color

Last month I picked up some rivercane bamboo along the Buffalo River, taking care to only take pieces that had already been broken off and dead. I don't want to contribute to erosion issues by taking live plants. It's probably not legal, anyway. I fashioned some rough dip India ink pens and made the following art with them.

I decided to play with India ink and made a few pens from river cane bamboo. The first test sketch. Haven't messed with the medium since '93 or so.

Ghost crab, India ink and watercolor wash. Ghost crabs are native to where I grew up in SW Florida and their burrows dot the beaches.

Ghost crab

Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas

Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas.

Architectural flourishes in India ink, sketched from pics I took at the City Museum in St. Louis last year.

Architectural flourish in India ink.

Architectural flourish in India ink.

Architectural flourish in India ink.

Architectural flourish in India ink.

Architectural flourish in India ink.

Architectural flourish in India ink.

I like the look of the dip pens, but it takes some preparation to use the ink wisely and without mess, so I bought a standard brush pen and decided to take in my field carry sketch bag. Here are some done with it.

Masks from the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City, Missouri

Masks

Steer cattle, SW of town.

Moo!

Nathanael Greene Park

Nathanael Greene Park, just before the rain

And lastly, another architectural flourish from the City Museum

Architectural flourish

Comments

Popular Posts