Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Busier than a...

You fill in the blank, I've been busier than it. Between my daughter's day to day stuff like singing lessons, birthday parties and what-not to my wife's involvement in charities and our house trying to crumble out from under us, we've had a lot going on.

Saturday, my daughter and I walked in the 3-mile MS Walk. A charity event benefiting multiple sclerosis research and cure. My wife has been on the the committee for months, organizing, fundraising and working the event. Afterwords, I made a pot of chili and we had some friends over for a bonfire in the backyard fire pit.

MS Walk

MS Walk Sunday, I went to paint the 15-window wall of our living room and back porch and wound up doing some improvised carpentry. The lowest board, being 63 years old, had rotted along the entire upper surface. I had to chisel it out and find a way to replace it and trim it without everything sliding out of place. It took me about eleven hours on Sunday and another three or so Monday morning before I came into work. I had to get it done before the rain kicked in. I'll be painting and staining this evening.

window repair

window repair

I am no carpenter. This was really beyond my normal ability. I also have very little money, so I had to think of something.

window repair

window repair

Last night was the kick-off party for the Bike MS150 event. I have committed myself to ride in this year's charity fundraiser in September. It starts in Crane, Missouri and goes to Joplin, Missouri and back again. 75 miles Saturday, 75 miles Sunday. I haven't done a lot of bike riding since my daughter was born about five and half years ago. Even then, I've never done anything of this length. Just the 30 mile Red Ribbon and Pink Ribbon rides, one for AIDS research, the other for cancer. This should be an adventure just getting in shape to handle the trip, let alone doing it.

BikeMS -MS150 kick-off party

Expect a lot of cycling-related posts here this summer, starting with this one. It was so nice out when I went home for lunch, I pumped up the tires on my Marin beach cruiser and rode it back to the office. I've got a lot of "training" to do over the next six months.

It's so nice out, when I went home for lunch, I rode the Marin beach cruiser back to the office.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did a fine job with the window- well done!