Things are hard sometimes.

P30t_02_03 - Keely is sleepy

I had to say goodbye to a damn good friend, yesterday. Keely had been by my side for nearly 14 years. Through ups and downs, good and bad, she was was the biggest constant in my life.

We hiked hundreds of trail miles, floated nearly every river within a few hours drive from here. She and I lived in 9-10 different houses and she got to ride in the back of two pickup trucks and four cars of mine. She slept mostly in bed or on the couch, only on the floor in her old age (when it got harder to get up an down so much). There were plenty of handouts from the table and bowls of ice cream shared (she got the second half). Not too bad a life, really. All the amenities of a house dog, with all the fun of an outside dog.

Pets are like practice kids. I credit Keely with helping me pull my head from my ass far enough to become a decent father and husband. If it weren't for her, I'd not have come this far in maturity or empathy for others. I thank God for the chance to have known her. She's gonna be a sorely missed part of our family. She was a good girl.

For more pics, go HERE.

Comments

Popular Posts